The school opened its doors in 1881 with a school enrolment of just over 30 students. The first school was built in the bottom section of the town water tank. It had a dirt floor and no windows.
Since then it has had its ups and down in enrolment numbers as the land use around the district has changed. The coming of the railway and the coal mine, the introduction of cropping to the area and expansion of bitumen roads have all changed the population in the township of Warra.
Today we have an enrolment of 8 students. We have four open area teaching spaces, air conditioning and a refurbished multi-purpose court. We have a library and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) facilities which would rival even the biggest of schools. Our current ratio of computers to students is 1:1.
Warra has a full time teaching principal, two teacher aides (part time) and a part time specialist Languages Other Than English (LOTE) teacher on staff. Warra has access to speech pathologists, advisory visiting teachers and guidance officers. We have a full time cleaner and casual groundsperson.
Our year seven students traditionally access Dalby State High School due to local bus routes.
The closest regional centres are Dalby and Chinchilla and we are approximately 16 kilometres away from the Kogan Creek mine and power station project.